- Treats rheumatoid arthritis (RA), systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE)
- Prevent and treats malaria
HCQS 200MG contains Hydroxychloroquine which belongs to the group of medicines called antimalarials. It is a disease modifying anti-rheumatic drug. (DMARD). Hydroxychloroquine used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and discoid and systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) by reducing inflammation, pain, swelling and joint stiffness. It also improves the rash in patients with lupus. It is used in the treatment and prevention of malaria. Hydroxychloroquine interferes with the communication of cells in the immune system and hence is effective at treating autoimmune diseases. For malaria, this medicine works by killing the parasite that causes the infection.
Take this medicine as directed by your physician. It can be taken with or without food. The most common side effects of taking this medicine are headache, dizziness, diarrhoea or visual problems. Before taking this medicine inform your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or having any heart, kidney or liver disease. It is not recommended for use in children under 6 years of age. Consult your doctor before taking. Avoid grapefruit while taking this medicine.
Warning & Precautions
Talk to Doctor
Talk to your doctor before you take this medicine, if you:
Pregnancy & Breast Feeding
HCQS 200MG should be used with caution in pregnant women. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
HCQS 200MG should be used with caution in breastfeeding women. Consult your doctor before taking this medicine.
Driving & Using Machines
Do not drive or operate any machines while taking this medicine it may cause blurred vision.
Avoid consumption of alcohol while taking this medicine.
HCQS 200MG should be taken with caution in patients with severe kidney disease. Consult your doctor for advice.
HCQS 200MG should be used with caution in patients with liver function impairment or active liver diseases. Consult your doctor for advice.
Do not take this medicine if you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Hydroxychloroquine.
HCQS 200MG should be taken with caution in patients with myocardial infarction or any other heart disease. Consult your doctor for advice.
Inform your doctor before taking this medicine, if you have,
- Low levels of potassium, calcium or magnesium in your blood, or have a condition that may affect the levels of those salts in the blood (e.g eating disorder or prolonged vomiting)
- Diabetes or symptoms of low blood sugar
- Skin disease called psoriasis
- Gastrointestinal disorders
Tell your doctor if you are taking,
- Medicines used to treat malaria (e.g chloroquine, mefloquine, quinine)
- Medicines used to treat depression (e.g tricyclic antidepressants) and psychiatric disorders (e.g., antipsychotics)
- Medicines used to treat heart conditions, cardiac arrhythmias (e.g digoxin)
- Medicines used to treat diabetes (e.g anti-diabetic drugs, including insulin)
- Medicines used to treat epilepsy or seizures
- Medicines used for infections (e.g. aminoglycosides antibiotics, erythromycin)
- Medicines used to treat muscle disorders (e.g neostigmine and pyridostigmine)
- Medicine used to treat heartburn (e.g cimetidine)
- Immunosuppressant medicines (e.g cyclosporine)
- Medicines known as CYP2C8 and CYP3A4 inhibitors (e.g. ketoconazole, itraconazole, erythromycin, aprepitant, fluconazole, clopidogrel, teriflunomide, letermovir)
- Medicines to treat breast cancer (e.g tamoxifen)
How to Use
Take this medicine as directed by your physician. It can be taken with or without food. Your doctor will decide the correct dose for you depending upon your condition. Swallow the medicine as whole with a glass of water.
Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them
- Stomach pain
- Stomach cramps
- Loss or lack of appetite
- Visual problems like damage to the retina of the eye
- Rash, itchy rash with raised red bumps
- Nervousness, quick changes in mood (emotional lability)
- Dizziness or vertigo
- Alopecia (hair loss)
- Change in skin colour, mucous membranes and hair
- Hearing problems
- Nerve and muscle problems
Store below 20-25°C and keep out of reach of children.
HOW TO MANAGE SIDE EFFECTS
Try taking this medicine with, or just after meal and stick to simple meals. Do not eat rich or spicy food.
Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration. ORS should be used to prevent dehydration.
Get up and move around to feel awake, take small naps to edge off the dizziness. Give your eyes a break to avoid fatigue and eat a healthy food to boost energy.
Does HCQS 200MG reduce inflammation?
Yes, it is used in the treatment of arthritis to help relieve inflammation, swelling, stiffness, and joint pain and also to help control the symptoms of lupus erythematosus.
What are the benefits of taking HCQS 200MG?
It can reduce pain, swelling and joint stiffness also improve rash in patients with lupus.
The contents of this website are for informational purposes only and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Please seek the advice of a physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Do not disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.